Sunday, July 17, 2011

Would it be okay to just let my rabbit roam freely on the deck during the day hours?

I got a new rabbit yesterday and she isn't comfortable enough with my other rabbit to have them both in the same hutch. I have a cage for her but I find it cruel to have her locked up in it when she's not with me because there isn't really any room for her to hop around and get exercise on her own terms, other than when I let her out and let her run around. She's about six pounds and that's way too big for any bird around here to lift. There aren't any eagles or hawks or really any birds around my house besides hummingbirds, lots of robins, and the occasional crow and some woodpeckers on the trees. The only other animals I've ever seen around my house are squirrels, chipmunks, wild rabbits, and I've seen deer about two or three times. There's no way for her to escape unless she jumped three feet in the air, which I know she won't do...I don't even know if she can jump that high. I would check on her often (I'm a bit overprotective) but she wouldn't be under constant supervision. I would put her in her cage at night a little while before it starts to get dark. I usually handle my rabbits random times throughout the day and then let them hop around on the deck at 7:30 and put them to "bed" at 8:00-8:30. I also let them hop around the bathroom for about an hour during the day. They both live outside. I have lived here for eight years and I have never seen a stray cat or dog. I live in an extremely small neighborhood. All the dogs in the neighborhood either have an electric fence or are tied up, with the exception of my dog and my neighbor's dog. I am extremely confident that no predators could get to her. I'm pretty positive it would be okay to let her roam freely on the deck, I just want to hear your opinions/suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment